Monday, April 12, 2010

Post Holy Week 2010

It has been a slow week for all of us Catholics since we observe the Holy Week to the dot. We literally grew up practicing almost every practice there is during Holy Week and it made me sad that I won't be able to do some since I am here down south and most of my Holy Week activities are done in Manila and/or in Bulacan. Nevertheless, I get to do Visita Iglesia with my twin cousins. I was sick that day but since it's the only 'daytime' that we're all at home during that week, I have to drag my sorry, sick ass and be with them for the said activity.  

Below is the supposed draft for this post but since it took me time to finish this, it would be non-sense if I post this blog with its Holy Week content if Holy Week was through 2 weeks ago. This is what happens when you get tongue-tied (or type-tied?). I didn't even get to finish the blog. :(


-----------

Palm Sunday - marked by the distribution of palm leaves (often tied into crosses) to the assembled worshipers. This one is somehow special to us Catholics because it has been a belief that the blessed palm leaves will protect the house from evil spirits.

Monday to Wednesday - The days between Palm Sunday and Holy Thursday are known as Holy Monday (or Fig Monday), Holy Tuesday and Holy Wednesday (sometimes called Spy Wednesday). Most of the activities during these days are Pabasa, which usually begins on Monday and lasts for three days, ending Holy Wednesday. Pabasa or Pasyon is the Gregorian chanting of the poetic prayer story of Jesus’ life, passion, death, and resurrection. It is an old practice that has been kept and passed on to the new gen. The tune and tempo, when singing, might vary, depending on who the singers are. But usually (and it should be, out of respect) it is chanted the same way as the elderlies does. Most of the teenagers join the Pabasa because they want to experience how it is being done and of course, the food. Who can forget about the food. There are families who cook and serve food for the singers. 

In Sta. Ana, Manila, there has been a tradition to present Jesus' life and death through theater. I was once a member of the said theater group, performed with them but have to quit for some reasons. Martir sa Golgota has been going on for almost two decades, showcasing the talents of the people of Sta. Ana, Manila with the special participation of guests celebrities, under the direction of Mr. Lou Veloso.

In other parts of the country, some are reenacting the entire suffering of Jesus to the point that they have to have themselves nailed on the cross.

Holy Thursday - During this day, many people go to churches to do Visita Iglesia, a tradition of visiting churches and reciting the Station of the Cross, one station in each church is being done as penance. Churches held their Washing of the Feet on this day. I was once chosen to be an Apostle, representing the youth, and had my feet washed by our Parish Priest then. Another activity is the Altar of Repose. This is where the Blessed Sacrament is taken out of the altar and transfered to the place of reposition. Then, all the altars in the church are stripped bare or covered.

Good Friday - observed by commemorating the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary. For us Catholics, be treat Good Friday as fast day by eating one full meal or two small meals, abstaining from meat. I so love this day, because I get to do my Catholic duties the whole day and observe and be a part of the church activities. I just wish I could go back again and do those things. But I know I will, in time. The best part of this, for me, is the Veneration of the Cross and the procession that comes after the Liturgy. we were once told, as kids, that we have to take a bath before 3 PM because Jesus will be dead by 3 and no one should be having a good time, taking a bath is considered as one. 

Black Saturday - 
------------

What this got to do with my jeepney ride diaries? Well, during Holy Week, you can predict what happens on the street, it's either free from traffic, a lot of people on the road or you'll be damned stuck somewhere because there's (almost) no PUJs at all. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment