Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Good Samaritan


I used to work at 4:00 AM before, meaning, I have to leave the house at 3:00 and for someone who lives in the province (though Binan now is a city), walking outside and commuting (sic) at an ungodly hour is a bit scary, moreso that I live in a subdivision where no one really walks out during those times, or if there are some, they are accompanied by someone until they get to ride a jeepney or the shuttle (company) arrives. 

Last Wednesday, I went to work four hours before my schedule because we have TONS of work to finish from the previous day and I am pretty sure that there will be more for the day. I went out of the house at around 3:00 and to my surprise, there is no tricycle at the corner of our street waiting for 'early birds' like me. I stood there, 'patiently' waiting for about five minutes. If it was daylight, I'd rather walk going out of the subdivision than wait. Then there came my driver in his shining jeepney! He stopped in front of me and asked me to ride with him since he's on his way out. Aww... so touching. I was deeply moved by his gesture. He was talking to me as if he's our neighbor. He even asked me if it was fine with me to travel at that time since it was still dark. I even tried to pay him for that ride but he declined it, saying that the ride is for free since he's on his way out too.

I know that this is not a big deal to many but for me it is. It's not everyday that someone offers you a free ride, most especially in a subdivision. I admit that I don't really go out of the house when I'm at home, both here and in Manila. Those that I know here in our neighborhood are my aunt's friends and their family, cousins' friends and our left and right neighbors, aside from that, NIL! I lived here for three years before, when I was studying, but the only classmate/neighbor that I personally know moved to another place a year ago, so I don't have any friends here. Doing that good deed was really touching for me. I thanked him when I was about to alight and I even wished him good luck for the day. I just hope that he got a lot of passenger for that day. 

To my driver in shining jeepney, though I know you won't be able to read this, thank you sooooo muchhhhh! I hope that there would be more drivers like you. See you around! 


PS:
The trick of bringing something to write on worked.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't think that people like Manong driver still existed. But hey, careful on your uber morning travels!

    btw, can you change my blog url to renzalc.blogspot.com?

    Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete